Saturday, December 03, 2005

Learning with Nephi

Outside of the standard Sunday School answers as to why it's a good thing to do family scripture study, I've found another benefit: teaching kids to read.

We started family scriptures with my oldest when she was 2 or 3. We'd read a few words and have her repeat them while we pointed out the words on the page. The results? My 8th-grade daughter now has an 11th grade reading level and my 5th grade son has a 7th grade reading level (and leads his school in their reading program).

I think there's more to it than what's on the surface. One might argue that reading Shakespeare, or something equally as difficult, would yield a similar result. But I'd argue that there's more going on. We know that the Holy Spirit is the source for knowledge. It seems to me that when you are reading the scriptures, the Spirit adds his emphasis and that tends to solidify the mental process when someone is learning to read. I liken it to the addition of fasting to prayer. Prayer on it's own is strong, but the addition of fasting adds that extra bit of power.

I think the Spirit helps children to learn comprehension as well. The Holy Ghost enlightens even the youngest minds with a better understanding of what is being read. Taking a short time to discuss what was just read trains young minds in analytical thinking as well.

What continues to amaze me is how my family and I reap benefits from our Church activity that are outside of the realm of your typical spirituality. After years of callings as a teacher in a number of auxilaries and having given a number of Sacrament talks, I've developed a skill for public speaking that I didn't previously have. I put that skill to good use recently when I did a Kamikaze round of 10 job interviews in 3 1/2 days (more on that later).
8:17 PM by The Narrator  Link
Comments: Post a Comment


Home

 

 

Narrative on the Journey of Life
from the perspective of an
everyday LDS guy.

I'm a 30-something husband and father of 5
living in the midwest. I joined the LDS Church
with my wife in 1993.

Archives

October 2005 December 2005 February 2006

Other perspectives: